Washburn soccer is a program that has great interest and support. The number of players who have an interest in being a Miller soccer player is really high.
Based on our tryout numbers some players may not be placed on a team. Our program can only sustain about 75-80 players (four teams of 18). We will probably have over 100 players try out. Some players will not be placed on a team due to those constraints.
Varsity – This is the top level team regardless of grade. Team is highly competitive and will be between 16-17 field players.
Junior Varsity – This team will be open to players in grade 11-12. This team will have up to 17 field players.
Academy A (Sophomore) – This team will be 8th-10th grade players. This will be our strongest group of younger players. The team will have 16-18 players.
Academy B (B squad) – This will be a team of 8th-10th graders. The team will have 16-18 players.
Teams will be determined at the end of our tryout week (August 16-20).
Placement of teams will not be absolute, if a player does well on a team our coaching staff communicates and we adjust player placement as the season progresses.
12th grade player – Must make Varsity or Junior Varsity
11th grade player – Must make Junior Varsity
10th grade player – Must make Academy A or B
9th grade player – Must make Academy A or B
8th grade player – Must make Academy A
2021 Tryout week: August 16-20 – Bring water, ball, wear shin guards, bring both cleats and flats!
The week will be broken up into two player pools (Pool A and Pool B). Players will be notified which pool they will train with on the 1st day of tryouts. Pool A is reserved for returning players that are initially vying for a Varsity spot or who are new to the program and come with a club Coach’s recommendation of their Varsity level ability.
Tryout results will be posted on our www.washburnsoccer.com site on Saturday, August 21 at 3 p.m.
Players will be assessed on the following criteria (not in rank order):
- Technical ability- skill with the ball, mastery of skills in all aspects of the game
- Tactical ability- awareness of situation, understanding of the game
- Physical component- speed of play, effort, strength
- Mental- knowledge of game, reaction to adversity and positivity, communication with others
- Criteria testing on Day 1
- Coaching staff discretion on player placement.
2021 Tryout Week Schedule: Check in between 7:30-8:00 a.m. on Monday, August 16.
Monday 8/16 8:00-9:30 a.m. Washburn 7:00-9:30 p.m. Washburn
Tuesday 8/17 7:30-9:00 a.m. Washburn 7:00-9:30 p.m. Washburn
Wednesday 8/18 7:30-9:00 a.m. Washburn 7:00-9:30 p.m. Washburn
Thursday 8/19 7:30-9:00 a.m. Washburn 7:00-9:30 p.m. Washburn
Friday 8/20 7:30-9:00 a.m. Washburn
Monday 8/16 8:00-9:30 a.m. Washburn 9:30-11:30 a.m. Pearl Park
Tuesday 8/17 8:30-11:30 a.m. Pearl
Wednesday 8/18 8:30-11:30 a.m. Pearl
Thursday 8/19 8:30-11:30 a.m. Pearl
Friday 8/20 8:30-10:30 a.m. Pearl
- To join our soccer program email contact list send contact info to: [email protected]
- Questions/Information: Head Coach Aaron Percy can be reached at [email protected] or text via phone 612-619-4698.
Forms and Physicals – 2021 Forms will be available soon.
- MSHSL Eligibility Form- turned in to our athletic office
- Payment- Two payments total of $175 made online (includes participation ($75) and booster fee ($100)
- Medical Physical- needs to be current and on file with our Athletic Office (within 3 years)
- Emergency card
ALL PAPERWORK AND PAYMENT NEEDS TO BE TURNED IN TO THE WHS ATHLETIC OFFICE BY THURSDAY, AUGUST 12 IN ORDER TO TRY OUT ON MONDAY, AUGUST 16.
FOR ALL UPDATES REGARDING TRYOUTS AND INFORMATION, PLEASE GO TO www.Washburnsoccer.com.