Based on our tryout numbers some players may not be placed on a team. Our program can only sustain about 90 players (5 teams of 18), and we will likely have more than 100 players trying out in the fall. Some players will not be placed on a team due to those constraints.
Varsity. This is the top level team regardless of grade. Team is highly competitive and will be between 16 and 18 players.
JV. This team and will be open to players in grades 11-12. This team will have up to 18 players.
9/10 Academy Teams. There will be two A and B “Academy” teams made up of will be grade 10 and grade 9 players. Each team will have up to 18 players.
Reserve Team. This is a potential practice team from Pool B, which will practice 2 days a week to keep working on skills and be part of the program. The structure and details for this team is still being determined.
Teams will be determined at the end of our tryout week (August 17-21).
Placement of teams will not be absolute, if a player does well on a team our coaching staff communicates and we try and adjust player placement as the season progresses.
12th grade player. Must make Varsity or JV
11th grade player. Must make at least JV
9th – 10th grade players. Must make at least one of the Academy teams.
Tryouts begin August 17, 2020 at Washburn Stadium. You need water, ball, shin guards (required), and both cleats and flats.
The week will be broken up into two player pools (Pool A and Pool B). Players will be notified which pool they will train with the first day of tryouts. Pool A is reserved for returning players that are initially vying for a varsity spot or who are new to the program and come with a club coach’s recommendation of varsity level ability.
Team decisions will be made Saturday August 22nd at 5pm.
Players will be assessed on the following criteria (not in rank order):
- Technical ability: skill with the ball, mastery of skills in all aspects of the game
- Tactical ability: awareness of situation, understanding of the game
- Physical component: speed of play, effort, strength
- Mental: knowledge of game, reaction to adversity and positivity, communication with others
- Coaching staff discretion on player placement
Forms, Cost, and Physicals
- Forms. Can be found here on washburnsoccer.com
- Eligibility Card. Obtain this from the athletic office. It must be turned in to the athletic office by August 13.
- Physical. The player’s physical must be current and on file with the Washburn athletic office (physical must have been completed in the last three years). Note: In 2020 only Freshmen and new players need to submit a physical.
- Payment. Single registration and booster payments will be $175 and completed online. Booster fees are optional. All fees are refunded if a player does not make a team. Register and pay here.
Tryout Week 2020 Schedule
|Friday||7:00-8:00am: Fitness||Washburn Stadium|
|Tuesday||8:30-11:00am: Training||Washburn Stadium|
|Wednesday||8:30-11:30am: Training||Washburn Stadium|
|Thursday||8:30-11:00am: Training||Washburn Stadium|
|Friday||8:30-11:00am: Training||Washburn Stadium|