Based on our tryout numbers some players may not be placed on a team. Our program can only sustain about 90 players (5 teams of 18), and we will likely have more than 100 players trying out in the fall. Some players will not be placed on a team due to those constraints.
Varsity. This is the top level team regardless of grade. Team is highly competitive and will be between 16 and 18 players.
JV. This team and will be open to players in grades 11-12. This team will have up to 18 players.
Sophomore. This team will be grade 10 players. This will be our strongest group of 10th graders. The team will have 18 players.
9A. This will be a team of 9th graders. The team will have up to 18 players.
9B. This will be a second team of 9th graders.
Teams will be determined at the end of our tryout week (August 13-17).
Placement of teams will not be absolute, if a player does well on a team our coaching staff communicates and we try and adjust player placement as the season progresses.
12th grade player. Must make Varsity or JV
11th grade player. Must make at least JV
10th grade player. Must make at least Sophomore team
9th grade player. Must make at least 9A or 9B squad teams
Tryouts begin August 13, 2018, at Washburn Stadium. You need water, ball, shin guards (required), and both cleats and flats. Registration for tryouts is now online.
The week will be broken up into two player pools (Pool A and Pool B). Players will be notified which pool they will train with the first day of tryouts. Pool A is reserved for returning players that are initially vying for a varsity spot or who are new to the program and come with a club coach’s recommendation of varsity level ability.
Team decisions will be made on Wednesday/Thursday for varsity and on Friday for all other teams.
Players will be assessed on the following criteria (not in rank order):
- Technical ability: skill with the ball, mastery of skills in all aspects of the game
- Tactical ability: awareness of situation, understanding of the game
- Physical component: speed of play, effort, strength
- Mental: knowledge of game, reaction to adversity and positivity, communication with others
- Testing criteria data: testing done day 1 of Pool B tryouts. See criteria data below
- Coaching staff discretion on player placement.
Forms, Cost, and Physicals
- Forms. Can be found here on washburnsoccer.com
- Eligibility Card. Obtain this from the athletic office. It must be turned in to the athletic office by August 9.
- Physical. The player’s physical must be current and on file with the Washburn athletic office (physical must have been completed in the last three years)
- Payment. New this year. Single registration and booster payments will be $175 and completed online. Booster fees are optional. All fees are refunded if a player does not make a team. Register and pay here.
Sign up for email updates from the boosters here. Need more specific information or have questions? Contact Coach Aaron Percy at email@example.com. You can also text Coach Percy at 612-619-4698.
Tryout Week 2018 Schedule
8:00am-9:30am: Data Testing
6:30-9:00pm: (11th/12th grade)
8:00am-9:30am: Data Testing
9:45-11:30am: (9th/10th grade)
|Washburn Stadium until 9:30am
Pearl Park at 9:45am
2:00pm: Tryout Results Posted