Washburn soccer is entering a new phase of its program. The number of players who have an interest in being a Miller soccer player has grown tremendously the last two years. Based on our tryout numbers, some players may not be placed on a team. Our program can only sustain about 72 players, or 4 teams of 18. If program numbers are higher than that, some players may not be placed on a team due to those constraints.
Washburn Boys Soccer Teams
- Varsity: This is the top level team regardless of grade. The varsity team is highly competitive and will be between 16 and 18 players.
- Junior Varsity (JV): This will be the second most skilled team and will be open to players of any grade level. Junior varsity will have up to 18 players on the team.
- B Squad: This team will be primarily grade 9-12 players and will be our third most skilled team. B Squad will have up to 18 players.
- C Squad: This team will be primarily grade 9 and 10 players. C Squad will have between 18-20 players.
Tryout Week: August 17-21, 2015
The week will be broken up into two player pools (Pool A and Pool B). Players will be notified which pool they will train with the first day of tryouts. Pool A is reserved for returning players who are initially vying for a varsity spot or who are new to the program and come with a club coach’s recommendation of their ability. Team decisions will be made on Wednesday/Thursday for varsity and Friday for all other teams.
Players will be assessed on the following criteria (not in rank order):
- Technical ability: skill with the ball, mastery of skills in all aspects of the game
- Tactical ability: awareness of situation, understanding of the game
- Physical component: speed of play, effort, strength
- Mental: knowledge of game, reaction to adversity and positivity, communication with others
- Testing criteria data: testing done day 1 of Pool B tryouts—see criteria below
- Coaching staff discretion on player placement
Tryout Week 2015 Schedule
Registration/check-in for all players begins at 8:00am on Monday, August 17, 2015, at Pearl Park. Tryouts begin promptly at 8:30am.
Pool A (Twice Daily, Primarily at Washburn Stadium)
8:00am-9:30am: Data Testing
7:00-9:30pm: (11th/12th grade)
Pool B (Daily at Pearl Park)
8:00am-9:30am: Data Testing9:45-11:30am: (9th/10th grade)
|Washburn Stadium until 9:30am
Pearl Park at 9:45am
Day 1 Testing Criteria (Pool B)
- 40-yard Dash. 2 runs, fastest time recorded
- Figure 8 Dribble. 2 cones, 5 yards apart. Dribble around them and through to make a figure 8. Each time you go across the middle will count as 1 point. 30 seconds timed.
- 5 Lap Run. Timed run around perimeter of a field.
- Cone Shooting Drill. Cones placed 10, 15, and 20 yards from goal. Set of balls at each one. You will have 30 seconds to score as many goals in the outer thirds of the goal. Need to shoot 1 from each cone distance, then repeat as many as you can.
- Trapping Drill. Perform a series of receiving drills that will give you a score based on your performance.