By now tryouts have begun and the 2020 soccer season is underway across the state. Here is some information recently sent to parents and players about what to expect.
- ALL players need to wear a mask when they come for tryouts.
- We will be split into Pool A (11th and 12th grade) and Pool B (9th and 10th grade).
- Monday from 8-8:30AM will be check-in at Washburn Stadium.
- All players will be temperature tested before they can join the tryout.
- Everyone must bring their own water bottle.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, the program will be altering the team structure for this season due to lack of resources and transportation:
- Varsity – Top team with 16-18 players.
- JV – Second team of 11th and 12th graders with 16-18 players.
- 9 and 10 Academy – An A and a B team from our pool of 9th and 10th grade players with 16-18 players for each team.
- Possible “Reserve team” – Potential practice team from Pool B, 2 days a week to keep working on skills and be part of the program. This will be an option for players who may not have been placed on a team. It would require a commitment to attend training days. This is still being determined through the athletics department.
All players not selected for a team will be provided a refund of their participation fee.
Schedules are a work in progress, as the MSHSL changed the parameters on length of season.
- Varsity. Will have a 10-11 game schedule
- JV. Will have a 10-11 game schedule
- Academy. This will be a work in progress, with a goal of 8-10 games
All teams will practice each afternoon or evening during the week, with some possible weekend dates.
|Pool A||Pool B|
|Monday||8:30-9:30AM and 7-9:30PM||8:30-11:30AM|
|Tuesday||7-8AM and 7-9:30PM||8:30-11:00AM|
|Wednesday||7-8AM and 7-9:30PM||8:30-11:30AM|
|Thursday||7-8AM and 7-9:30PM||8:30-11:00AM|
GOALIES FROM BOTH POOL A AND B WILL BE TRAINING WITH COACH OLSON OUR GOALIE COACH FROM 7-9:30PM EACH NIGHT.
Tryout Safety Protocols
Entering the stadium- Day 1
- ALL 9th/10th graders will enter the stadium through the gate at the South West corner closest to 50th Street.
- ALL 11th/12th graders will check in near the North West gate near the concession stand and continue to the mall area.
- Masks worn into the stadium and check-in. (if you do not have a mask, we have a limited number of disposable ones for use.)
DO NOT COME TO TRAINING IF YOU HAVE:
- New onset cough
- Shortness of breath
- Fever (100.4ºF or higher)
OR YOU HAVE ANY 2 OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of sense of smell or taste
- Gastrointestinal symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting, or nausea
1. Temperature Check (If 100ºF or above we will have the player wait and retest 5 minutes later. If still high we will contact a parent/guardian to pick up.)
2. Attendance taken each day for contact tracing purposes.
3. Bags will be placed along the track 2 yards apart from each other. This will be your personal area, keep bag, water bottle, mask in your area please.
4. You will receive a reversible numbered pinnie that will be yours for the week. It is your responsibility to keep as clean as possible and you will return the pinnie at the end of the tryout window.
During Practice Protocols
- Players must wear mask when not in training or on a break while sitting out. Take time to cool down and wear your mask.
- Hand sanitizer will be available and used as frequently as makes sense. All players will use hand sanitizer when they are finished with training.
- Try and use feet whenever possible with soccer balls.
- Balls and cones will be sanitized post each practice.
Saturday August 22: Team Rosters posted on washburnsoccer.com at 5PM.
Wednesday August 26: Kickoff Event at 6:30pm for parents, no players. Parents should plan on bringing a lawn chair and spreading out across the turf.
All of this, of course, is compliant on all things related to COVID-19 being handled properly during the course of the season by players, coaches, and families. Any questions please contact Coach Percy at [email protected]